Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Silent sustainable transformation

Begrudgingly I agreed to decorate the kids school auction event.  I had no idea what inspired creative forces I would be privy to.

The theme was homegrown- meaning we needed to create the decorations from recycled items

First the book art.   Some of you may have trouble with the use of old books as objects of art.. the donated books were comprised of manuals, telephone books, maps, and old books with fabulously browned pages gathered from thrift stores.  Their yellowed, torn pages mostly filled with lusty gushings that I suspect caused some of the older children to work a bit slower.  The books that were still of good literary quality were given to the library.

 

Mostly created by busy students hands...



The mother tree was honored; shrouded in muslin it's dying trunk supported the beautiful pages

A frame normally used to sift dirt in the gardens of learning was used to create the crown of the book art chandelier in the tent




Tree's were swathed in contrasting remnants of fabric

Tables laid with books, recycled jars with votives and muslin cloth



A hugely collaborative effort created a fabulous event

feeling incredibly proud I dawned my fabulous Givenchy inspired dress made of kraft paper, found tossed aside on the field, Dior ribbon and graffiti art by Rob Reger of Emily the Strange...and off I went...


photo by Joyce Brody

4 comments:

  1. OH I LOVE these book things. Can i steal for my art program ?????
    GORGEOUS WORK !
    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. These decorations were absolutely out-of-this-WORLD! I didn't know that you were responsible for them. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks great. I've enjoyed checking out all the good food and now this!
    Padraic

    ReplyDelete