Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Oven Roasted Carrots

I remember being about nine years old and espousing the scientific fact, "If you eat carrots you will be able to see REALLY well"  I felt so proud to have this really meaningful bit of knowledge.  Most likely collected from Gilligan's Island episode 28 where Gilligan finds a crate of radioactive seeds, Mary Ann plants them and eats so many carrots she can see far out to sea.
 In reference to this I found some rather funny thoughts on the subject on Snopes... worth a peek..
http://www.ubervu.com/conversations/www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/carrots.asp?page=2

You don't have to look far to find information on the benefits of eating carrots.  They are high in Vitamin A and beta carotine which  to helps sustain good vision.

I began to thin carrots in one of the overflowing garden beds today- arms loaded down by the tremendous greenery the carrots produce- end result I began to resemble a pageant winner in 4H.


After de-greening the gems- I gently used a paring knife to remove superfluous roots.

Tossed with olive oil, Maldon salt and a bit of pepper then inserted in to the oven at 400 degrees.

Gently tossing carrots after 25 minutes they were done to perfection and quickly consumed.

Although things are still blurry- I'm hoping to be able to see clearly now.

7 comments:

  1. Roasting veggies is fantastic in cold weather! It's my current favorite way to prepare them (because it's FREEZING up here!). Thanks for the lovely pictures ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY!! looks and sounds deeeelish. i really like your photography of the carrots! Inspiring !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, just found you! I am so jealous of your carrots,they are lovely. I can almost taste them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sweet Life Garden. Your blog is beautiful. Looks like you have an Oasis in Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww Chef Lee- Come on by for the carrot harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks super yummy!!! I wish we could grow carrots over here in tropical Singapore! :(
    Is it possible to remove every speck of soil completely from the carrot by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am- Sorry I'm just responding now- it's been a busy spring. I think the only way to remove every speck of soil from the carrot is to peel it and cut the top off. My grandma used to say we eat about 5lbs of dirt a year anyhow.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete