Thursday, February 11, 2010

Vanessa's Kale Salad

This past few weeks have been so busy that managing to get to the garden each day has been a challenge- So I opted to gleen the garden as best I could between rain storms filling our produce drawer to the brim.
Purple cauliflower, English pea pods, broccoli, chard, and finally kale were yesterday's harvest.

Over the past year kale has become a staple in our diets.  Vanessa, our lovely friend and Nanny started making our friend Aparna's recipe of kale salad each week. Even the kids gobbled it up.. Every time she made it there never seemed to be enough.  There is something about the tart, salty, grassy flavor and texture of this recipe that where I could never get enough ....was I transforming in to a goat?
I would buy more and more heads of kale with us making larger and larger quantities.   Never satisfied with enough, last fall I decided I would grow kale.   What I discovered is that although I planted a whole seed packet I only have enough for about two batches.   Here is the recipe, I hope Vanessa doesn't mind...


You will need:
 2-3 bunches of fresh organic curly kale
1/2 can organic garbanzo beans
1/3-1/2 cup chopped black olives
1/4 red onion chopped
juice of 1 lemon
1Tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Step number one:
WASH the kale.    This process can take forever because kale has loads of little pockets for aphids to hide.  Once clean put kale in to the cuisinart  in small batches.   Pulse carefully or you will turn it to pulp.
place in large bowl, add garbanzo beans, olives, and onion in quantities appropriate to the amount of kale used.
Mix up olive oil and lemon in a small bowl and drizzle over salad.

Let me know how many bowls you eat before you feel satisfied.

2 comments:

  1. I love kale and will totally try this. Do you have any insight on the amazing carrot dressing that they serve at Souen in NYC? They don't give out the recipe and I can't find it online... Thank you, Ivarene Farmer! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Lisa, I have tried and failed. I even e-mailed them for their delicious dressing- to no avail... Alas, I will not give up I shall keep on trying.
    Thanks..
    xx

    ReplyDelete